Monday, April 20, 2009



This week I head out to Los Angeles to exhibit a body of work at Fresh Artfairs (an event that kicks off Photo LA).  I'll be showing images from the beachcombers series, which is a collection of toned silver prints taken on various beaches and waterways around the world.  To prepare, I've been in the darkroom and building frames for the last couple of weeks.  The framed pieces are hanging in the studio, and I occasionally change out an image in hopes of making it a stronger body of work.  In a moment of weakness I asked my girlfriend which print if any she would change out, when she chose one of my favorites I glared at her with a look of contempt... "are you kidding me", a few days later changed it.  At the end of August, a large group of the series will be on display in Phoenix, but for this show I will have to edit down to about eighteen framed pieces.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a link to your blog site off of my own and just became aware of the two new beachcomer images you added - they are amazingly beautiful. What an honor to be selected for this Fresh Artfairs event - congratulations!

I wish I could be in LA to view your beachcombers series - I have been following you for years and have several pieces of your work from an exhibit you did in Chicago.

Good luck to you and please let us Midwesterners know when you will be back in the Chicago area showing your work.

audrey lasalle said...

beautiful john...like everything you do. you guys have a great time:)

andy ryan said...

I'm glad to have found this blog-- great to see your work again, albeit as 2x3 inch jpegs. hope to see you out in AZ one of these days, all the best, Andy